Thursday, November 10, 2022

Isolated in the Storm


God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Psalm 46:1-3,10-11 (NIV)

 An eerie silence filled my home when I awoke at 3am. Weather forecasters predicted it would reach my area between midnight and 2am so I thought I must have slept through it. That was a surprise since I am normally a light sleeper. 

Even though I felt thankful to have missed the storm, sleep would not return. Then a blast of wind hit my window. Rain pelted windows and the roof. Seconds later, a full-fledged storm assaulted my home. Wrapped snuggly under the covers, I listened to the rampage outside,     

            Finally, I arose and turned on the weather to see what was going on. A team of weather forecasters issued warnings, explained maps and relayed disaster reports. I was definitely in the middle of a hurricane. 

            Because I didn’t think the storm would be difficult in my inland county, I didn’t go to my son’s house during the storm like I had done previously. That was a mistake.

            The storm raged in the blackness but the outside light only cast brightness on a small area. Water washed over the screen and onto the floor of my lanai. No damage to furniture or my butterfly cage. 

            After a few minutes of dire news, my focus shifted to my devotional time. At first, I couldn’t focus with the roaring wind and thrashing rain. In the middle of the chaos of the hurricane, another storm struck me. Loneliness charged into my home. Tears flowed as memories of Alan surfaced. His presence had given me security and peace but he was gone. Grief ambushed me like another hurricane. I was alone. 

            At such an early hour, I didn’t want to call anyone so I added posts on Facebook. It gave me a small sense of connection. A friend sent me a test message. We were both alone and not thrilled about it. Her comfort and support helped. 

            Because of the circumstances, I knew my blood pressure might be up. It was so I took an emergency pill which usually causes tiredness. 

            When I returned to my devotions for the day, a Scripture stood out. Psalm 46. The words spoke to my heart. Tears slowed and stopped. 

            After my eyes kept closing, I returned to bed for a nap. It helped. Messages on Facebook and on my phone lifted my spirits. I returned messages and checked on others who were alone. A couple of hours later, my bed called again. Another nap revived me. 

            Wind and rain continued as I watched the news, ate and checked my emails. Amazingly, I took another nap. After the third one, I felt good. Loneliness flew away like the wind.  Between rains, I ventured outside to check on two butterflies in a cage and make sure nothing was amiss on my roof. 

            The storm came with no one sitting on the couch beside me, but God provided His Word to comfort me in my distress. Many messages and phone calls reminded me of the people who love and care for me. Just as I made it through the recent storm, God has been with me in many other kinds of storms. 

Loving Father, thank you for providing just what I needed as I faced uncertainty and loneliness. Be with those who have lost so much in the hurricanes. Help us remember You love us.

Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment