Saturday, December 31, 2022

Crumpled Creatures


Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)

During the days of frigid temperatures and dreary skies, I nursed my continuing cough, sniffles and fatigue. But bright sunlight and balmy breezes beckoned me. After almost two weeks wrapped in a blanket on my couch, a walk would be freeing.  

            Leaving behind my cup of tea and box of tissues, I headed to the door. Warm sunshine caressed my weary face. A lighter shirt and pants felt less cumbersome than heavy clothes and a blanket. 

            Yellow mums smiled at me when I examined my front yard for signs of damage. Because I covered them, they survived the below freezing nights. Exposed plants turned brown and didn’t fare as well. 

            Being outside rejuvenated me. With weeks of no exercise, my body trudged along. My pace slowed. Coughing began again. Breathing became labored. I felt like a slug. Frustration set in. 

            Then I noticed a yard with Santa face down on a bench. A reindeer and elf crumpled on the ground beside him. Across the lawn, a snowman resembled a huge wad of paper. At night, the figures filled with air and created a jolly scene. Magical lights illuminated each of them. However, during the day the deflated bodies formed a forlorn picture. 

            As I stared at the miserable display, I compared it to my crumpled attitude. 

            I can concentrate on the misery of not feeling well for a prolonged time or be thankful for what blessings I do have. 

            Although I walked slower after my illness, both legs worked. I didn’t have to use a walker or wheelchair. I live in a normally sunny climate with bright, blue skies. I have a comfortable home with plenty of food. I am able to walk safely outside with no concern about falling on the ice or being hit by a bomb. Friends and family check on me when I am sick. 

            My list of complaints is much smaller than my numerous blessings. When problems seem overwhelming and life doesn’t go the way I planned, it is easy to focus on what I don’t have. 

            Focusing on thankfulness changes my perspective.

Heavenly Father, help me focus on all you have given me and to appreciate my blessings. Being thankful reminds me of all you have done for me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment