Thursday, December 1, 2022

The Last Butterfly


The counsel of the Lord stands forever,
    the plans of his heart to all generations.
Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
    the people whom he has chosen as his heritage!

Psalm 33:11-12 (NIV)

Butterfly cages waited on the patio to be scrubbed and stored for the winter. Their job done for the year. 

            Since spring, I diligently searched often for rice sized butterfly eggs on the underside of milkweed leaves. My cages became incubators after I carefully placed the leaves inside and waited for eggs to hatch. 

Emerging caterpillars kept me busy supplying more and more milkweed for their voracious appetites. When numerous larvae filled the cages, I searched the garden for food several times a day. Along with gathering milkweed, I had to constantly clean their cages of unpleasant waste so they would not get sick. 

The work, though sometimes difficult and demanding, brought pleasure when I watched their progress and change into beautiful butterflies. 

Although I wanted to continue caring for them, the remaining ones needed to migrate to a warmer climate. Florida ones only go to southern Florida and not the longer trip to Mexico. 

Last year, I continued assisting them later into the year. Then cold weather hit and I worried about their survival. Research said that their food source should be cut back in October so they would migrate. 

This year I waited until the last day of October to prune most of the milkweed plants. However, a few chrysalises remained at the top of my cage with a small number of larvae still eating. Each day, I gathered enough food for the late bloomers. 

They hatched one at a time. When the last chrysalis darkened, the time of emerging drew near. 

I had mixed feeling as I opened the habit for the last time of the year. The beauty of the creature flying on its own brought joy knowing I had a part in its life. However, there was a touch of sadness knowing I would miss their presence.

Parents love and care for children for years and years. We watch them develop and mature. Then one day it is time to release them into the world. Mixed feelings come then too. We pray we have nurtured and taught them well. Instilled values and the love of God so they can thrive. 

Like my butterflies, we have to let our children spread their wings and soar. 

Loving Father, just as we love our children and try to teach them the right way to live, You do the same for all of us. You are with our children even when we aren’t.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment