Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Simple Christmas??


He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind.

Isaiah 40:29-31(Message)

A Simple Christmas?? The thought from our sermon series kept battering my mind while I attended one activity after another. Every one brought enjoyment. Singing in our community’s holiday show. With my granddaughters, assisting parents as they selected gifts for their children at our church’s Christmas House. Shopping for gifts and collecting them at the clubhouse for various local charities. Ushering at my church for two presentations of a Christmas show. Buying and wrapping Christmas gifts for family and friends. A delicious Christmas lunch with my Bible study group. 

            “Slow the season so we don’t miss the reason,” from Pastor Josh’s messages admonished me. 

            I loved everything I was doing and knew the activities touched people too.  But I certainly wasn’t slowing down. 

            A cough began. Fatigue set in. With no energy, all I wanted to do was stay in my pj’s wrapped in my fuzzy blanket on my couch. That is what I did for four days. 

            Instead of attending my church, I worshiped online and then watched a series of other services on TV. While friends celebrated at Christmas parties, I drank tea and saw holiday movies. 

            At first, I bemoaned my forced isolation. Then I embraced the quiet time. Although I had one phone call and multiple text messages, most days were spent in total seclusion. Dreary weather made my home feel cozy and inviting. 

            One morning I laughed at my involuntary solitude. When my pursuits increased instead of decreasing, my illness stopped me. Only when I got a nasty cold, did I listen to reason. Then God got my attention. 

            The days at home were not part of my plan, but I needed the rest.  

            Mary and Joseph had plans change dramatically after hearing from the angel. They could have ignored the news and proceeded on their own ways. However, each of them listened and accepted God’s way despite the struggles, doubts and questions of their own and of their families and neighbors. 

            Often, we know what we should do but think our plans are more important than God’s. We can remember the young couple two thousand years ago who put aside their own arrangements, depended on God, and were part of the most magnificent birth ever. 

            Our Lord can use us in amazing ways when we depend on Him and not ourselves. 

Loving Father, sometimes you have to use drastic measures to slow us down. Help us listen and accept Your plans for our lives. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment