Friday, December 23, 2022

Who is the Most Important Guest?


Today, in the city of David, a Liberator has been born for you! He is the promised Anointed One, the Supreme Authority! You will know you have found Him when you see a baby, wrapped in a blanket, lying in a feeding trough. At that moment, the first heavenly messenger was joined by thousands of other messengers—a vast heavenly choir. They praised God. Heavenly Choir: To the highest heights of the universe, glory to God! And on earth, peace among all people who bring pleasure to God!

Luke 2:11-14 (The Voice)

For a week, a cold kept me on my couch. Gray days made it a little easier to stay isolated. My fuzzy blanket kept me company on the couch. 

            Each day I hoped to feel better. Finally, warmer temperatures and sunshine enticed me to spend my devotional time on the patio. 

            Wind rustled leaves. Sunlight glowed on the wrinkled lake. Even brown needles on the almost bare cypress trees enhanced the picturesque scene. 

Thankfulness filled me as the wonder of God’s creation held me captive and rejuvenated me. While reading Scriptures and surveying the scene before me, I sang songs of praise which included verses from the Bible. 

Then I read David Jeremiah’s daily devotional. “The Greek word for evangelize means ‘to announce glad tidings’ good news which results in ‘great joy’.”

For years I have heard and read the angel’s words. However, I had never thought about it as evangelizing about Jesus. 

The devotional continued. “The angel didn’t connect ‘great joy’ with activities around Jesus’ birth. The ‘great joy’ was tied directly to the birth of Jesus Himself.”

My seclusion forced me to miss several Christmas activities. But through the time at home, I realized how much emphasis I placed on the acts of the season like parties, decorations, volunteering, gifts… All things that are enjoyable but can distract from the true joy of Jesus’ birth. 

People often try to fill voids with endless activities like too much shopping, parties that are not really fun, gifts that aren’t needed, bills that add up…

When bellies are overly full, wrapping paper litters the floor, exhausted people snap at each other, where is Jesus? Do we invite Him in or slam the door lest someone be offended? 

Around the world, many cultures adopt the elaborate trappings of the holiday season whether Christian or not. Of course, most people are more kind and generous during the holidays. But the main effect seems to merely increase a bonanza for businesses. Unfortunately, large numbers of people don’t actually even know the real reason for Christmas. 

When everything else is stripped away, Jesus remains. Our simple Christmas should truly focus on celebrating His birth as our Savior.   

How will you celebrate?

Lord, thank you for your Son who came to save us. Help us make Jesus the main thing for Christmas. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment