Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Grief at Christmas


Ringing bells. Sparkling trees. Jolly Christmas music. People hustling to fill shopping carts.

Ignoring decorations and cheery people, I entered the first store and focused on finding the perfect gifts for my mom who can no longer go shopping.

I searched diligently but nothing seemed right--wrong color, size, style ... Between stores, tears threatened.

With each clerk’s jovial, “How are you today?”, I mumbled, “Ok.”

What if I told them the real story? Would they even hear me or care?

Finally, tired and discouraged with hardly anything purchased, I retreated to my cocoon. When the car started, so did my tears. 

I longed for the happiness of previous Christmases. Savoring mother’s cooking at my parents’ home. Opening gifts with the whole family looking on. Mother, dad, and Alan  all robust, healthy, and enjoying the celebration. 

Grief grabbed me like a stealthy intruder. Unexpected and unwelcome. I grieved my own losses. Sadness filled me for family and friends who will face empty chairs this year too. 

In spite of the tears, I also remembered many happier times and thought of the reason for Christmas--celebrating the birth of Jesus.

He didn’t remain an adorable Christmas card baby. His life contained trials and hardships. He sorrowed and wept. His followers suffered grief as he was imprisoned, crucified, and died. But joy came on Easter at His resurrection. 

In our fallen world, grief and sorrow  blend with joy and happiness. Life on earth is not the end of the story for those who believe. Only in heaven will there be no pain or sorrow. 

Revelation 21:4
    The prophecies are fulfilled: He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more. Mourning no more, crying no more, pain no more, For the first things have gone away. (The Voice)


Heavenly Father, be with us as we grieve and give us peace and joy. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment