Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Stable



Damp coldness chilled me. Clouds hovered. Trickles from the sky hit the parched earth. There was no cheery Christmas feeling in the dawn’s drabness.

Clothed in a robe and blanket, I struggled to get warm. Still I shivered. 

Memories returned me to Bethlehem. Not to the Church of the Nativity with its long lines of visitors and gaudy display in the cave room where tradition says that Jesus was born.

Instead, I remembered a simple, hillside cave. A place shepherd’s took sheep for shelter. In winter a dark, cold spot but a source of protection and refuge. 

A weary, young couple retreated there for the night too. Though smelly and chilly, it provided a sanctuary after their long journey. 

In that unlikely cave, a baby, named Jesus, entered a dark, desperate world. His cries joined the clamor and tumult of mankind. His coo’s and laughter interrupted the silence of the deep night. 

Multitudes of angels filled the sky with praises at His Presence. Unexpected, ordinary guests hurried and stumbled over rocks to see the baby in the humble stable. 

No longer did the cave seem cold and isolated. The tiny baby Jesus transformed it. Hope, joy, and holiness arrived that long ago night. 

Roman occupiers didn’t leave when Jesus came. The shepherds didn’t move to mansions with servants. Mary and Joseph didn’t experience a life of luxury. 

Though still chilly as I gazed at the gloomy morning, I knew Who warmed my heart. Who gives me peace and joy in this dark world. 

Outwardly, circumstances may not improve, but inwardly, hearts warm with His Presence.

Luke 2: 10: But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.” (NIV)


Holy Father, thank you for sending your Son to bring us peace and joy in our broken world. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment